Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Some Privilege

Here is a short list of some of the privilege I have:
  • I can drive 6 MPH over the speed limit without fear of being pulled over due to the color of my skin.
  • I know strangers will not be intimidated by me because of the color of my skin.
  • I can wear a hooded sweatshirt without being suspected of criminal activity.
  • I can apply for jobs and know my chances will not be limited by the heritage of my name.
  • I can post photos of myself online and know my chances of employment will not be limited by the color of my skin.
  • I can decide not to protest white supremacist groups and know my life is not in danger from these movements.
  • I can choose not to take part in political discourse and know my civil rights are not threatened.
  • I can walk around late at night and know I am less suspected of criminal activity than someone with a different skin color.
  • I can travel to any town in the US and not be purposefully intimidated to leave before dusk because of the color of my skin.
  • There are no monuments in the US that glorify the oppression of people with my skin color.
  • I do not hear activists on the media advocating violence against me based on the color of my skin.
  • No matter where I travel in the US, if I am pulled over or questioned by police, I never fear that my life is in danger.  Instead, I expect that I will be treated with respect and be allowed to ask my own questions, should I have any.
I am aware of this privilege. I understand that this is extremely unfair to people and gives me significant societal advantage and freedoms that others don't have.

I do not like this imbalance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home