Sunday, October 16, 2011

Back to Monophasic Sleeping

Monday was my last day of a polyphasic-sleeping lifestyle.  On Monday evening I took my 9pm nap and refused to get up.  I knew I didn't have work due on Tuesday that needed to get done and I couldn't coax myself out of bed after 30 mins of sleep.  Lately, I had tried "stacking" naps on top of each other after a long sleep-drought, with some success (maybe).

As I return to a regular sleeping schedule, I REALLY want to list pros and cons I notice about polyphasic sleeping.  Here are some:

Pro: time.  Already I miss all my time.  Where did it go?

Con: I usually run hot, but I noticed feeling chilled on the uberman schedule.  I wore more clothing inside and outside.  I'm already back to feeling warm again.  Naturally, I was colder at night, but also during the day, even during the recent warm spell.  Now I've switched back to sandals and a t-shirt.  I can still tell when it's warm vs cold, but it cold weather doesn't chill me as much anymore.  Perhaps I wasn't eating enough while on the schedule.

Con: naps.  Naps are wonderful, but if they happen every four hours, they run interference with your life.  Near the end, I seemed to be able to stretch them out, but this may have made getting up from my naps even more difficult.

Con: you feel legitimately tired many times throughout the day.  Near the end of each awake cycle, you will feel sleepy.  It may be gentle, but it is still your body telling you to go to bed. 

Con: I gained time to work, but lost social time.  Time at work, to meet with students and other faculty, and time at home to spend with my family.

If I think of more, I'll add it as a comment or another post. :)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home